The College of Public Health
Hélène Carabin, D.V.M., Ph.D.
||(405) 271-2229 x48083
||The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
801 Northeast 13th Street, Room 309AB
Post Office Box 26901
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases, especially zoonotic infections
- Assessment of the global burden of parasitic infections
- Design and statistical analyses of clustered data
- Application of Bayesian methods to address measurement error and clustering
Current projects as PI
- EFECAB: Improving pig management to prevent epilepsy in Burkina Faso. This R01 project aims at using the PRECEDE PROCEED method to develop an educational package to prevent cysticercosis in humans and pigs in Burkina Faso. The effectiveness of the package will be tested in a community-based randomized controlled trial in 60 villages of the country. Funded under the Brain Disorders in the Developing world: Research Across the Lifespan program by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and the Fogarty International Center (FIC) (1R01NS064901).
- Understanding the inflammatory processes of neurocysticercosis: a US-India partnership. The major goal of this partnership between OUHSC and the Christina Medical College in Vellore, India, is to find serological and monocyte RNA messager markers for neurocysticercosis and epilepsy in patients in India. Funded by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (1R21NS077466).
- Effect modification of HIV-associated CNS diseases by parasitic zoonoses in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. The major goal of this project is to assess the interaction between HIV infection and manifestations of neurocysticercosis and neuro-toxocariasis in patients seeking care in two reference hospitals of Mthatha, Eastern Cape Province. Funded under the Brain Disorders in the Developing world: Research Across the Lifespan program by the Fogarty International Center (FIC) (R21TW008434).
- Climate, Health, environment and socio-systems: health impacts of Saharan dust in Burkina Faso. The goal of this study is to assess the impact of Harmattan on the transmission of meningitis and the effect of season on carriage with N. meningitidis in Burkina Faso. Funded by the OU Challenge grant. Co-PI with Dr Aondover Taruhle (Dep Geography, OU Norman)
Education and Training
- Post-Doctoral Fellow. Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology. Imperial College, UK
- Post-Doctoral Fellow. Wellcome Trust Centre for the Epidemiolgy of Infectious Diseases. Oxford University, UK
- Ph.D. Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Canada
- M.Sc. Faculté de Médecine Vétérinaire, University of Montreal, Canada
- D.V.M. Faculté de Médecine Vétérinaire, University of Montreal, Canada
Appointments And Positions:
- Professor of Epidemiology, 2011-present.
- Associate Professor of Epidemiology, 2006-2011.
- Honorary Lecturer. Department of Infectious Disease and Epidemiology. Imperial College, UK, 2006-2009
- Assistant Professor of Epidemiology, 2002-2006.
Selected Publications (out of 71 peer reviewed articles)
- Carabin H, Gyorkos TW, Soto JC, Joseph L, Payment P, Collet J-P. Effectiveness of a training programme in reducing infections in toddlers attending daycare centres. Epidemiology 1999;10:219-227 (see editorial in Epidemiology 1999;10:209-10). This paper received the 2000 Rothman Epidemiology Prize.
- Carabin H, Budke C, Cowan LD, Willingham AL, Torgerson PR. Methods for assessing the burden of parasitic zoonoses: echinococcosis and cysticercosis. Trends in Parasitology 2005; 21: 327-33.
- Tarafder MR, Carabin H, McGarvey ST, Joseph L, Balolong E Jr., Olveda R.. Assessing the impact of measurement error on an epidemiological association between two helminthic infections. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2011; 5(3): e995.
- Carabin H, Ndimubanzi PC, Budke C, Nguyen H, Cowan LD, Qian Y-J, Stoner JA, Rainwater L, Dickey M. Clinical manifestations associated with neurocysticercosis: A systematic review. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 2011; 5(5): e1152.
- Nitiéma P, Carabin H, Hounton S, Cowan LD, Ganaba R, Kompaoré C, Millogo A, ÉFÉCAB. Prevalence of and factors associated with epilepsy in rural Burkina Faso: a prevalence case-control study. Acta Neurologia Scandinavia 2012